Location of Elephant Plains Game Lodge, Sabi Sands Reserve
The Sabi Sands Game Reserve in South Africa is home to the Big Five. The lodge is easily accessed by road or by air. Flights are available from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit, Skukuza and KMIA (Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport) in Nelspruit.
Eastgate (Hoedspruit), Skukuza and KMIA (Nelspruit) airports are all in close proximity, with daily scheduled flights from / to Johannesburg.
Private chartered flights from Johannesburg, as well as any of the other nearby airports, can land at the the lodge's gravel airstrip which is well maintained. The approach is South to North.
Guests can easily self-drive to the lodge which takes about 7 hours. Alternatively, transfers can be arranged from Johannesburg or any of the local airports.
Please Note: Self-drive guests can only access the lodge through the Gowrie Gate and not any of the other Sabi Sands Game Reserve gates. There are cash only entrance fees payable per vehicle and per guest for Sabi Sands.
From Johannesburg / Pretoria
- Guests should take the N4 from Johannesburg / Pretoria and bypass Witbank and Middelburg
- Continue on to Belfast and turn left onto the R540 through Dullstroom to Lydenburg
- From the town of Lydenburg, take the R36 to Ohrigstad and pass through the JG Strijdom Tunnel
- From the tunnel, travel for about 27km (17miles) before turning right towards Klaserie
- Travel straight along the Klaserie road until you reach a sign pointing to Orpen and the South African Wildlife College
- Turn left and continue along the R531 for about 30km (19 miles) until you see the South African Wildlife College entrance on your left hand side
- Immediately after the college a small dirt track will be situated on your right hand side. Take this road and travel through the gate. Continue for about 11km (7 miles) until you come to a T-junction (tar road) at Hluvukani
- Turn left toward Manyaleti (you will pass a BP petrol station). Continue on this road for 6.8km (4 miles)
- You will see a sign for “Seville A, Sabi Sand” and a road going off to the right, take this turn off. Continue on this road for about 13km (8 miles) to Gowrie Gate, Sabi Sand (you will pass through the villages of Seville, Utha and Dixie)
- Pay the entrance fees at the Sabi Sands gate and drive a further 8.5km (5 miles), following the signs to Elephant Plains
S 24º 44’ 38.9”
E 31º 28’ 30.5”
Rates / Prices
Enquiries / Questions