Location of Lion Sands River Lodge, Sabi Sands Reserve
The lodge is situated in the game-rich Sabi Sands Game Reserve. This reserve is adjacent to the well-known Kruger National Park and boasts a diverse range of African wildlife. There are no fences between the Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve and Kruger Park. Therefore, African wildlife is free to roam over both areas.
Directions to Lion Sands River Lodge
The Sabi Sands Game Reserve, South Africa, is located in the Greater Kruger National Park in the Mpumalanga Province. Guests can choose to self drive from Johannesburg or fly into one of the nearby airports. Road transfers from the airport to the lodge can be arranged where needed.
There are charter flights available direct from Johannesburg OR Tambo International Airport to Skukuza Airport. The estimated time of this flight is 75 minutes, followed by a short road transfer in a 4x4 safari vehicle to Lion Sands River Lodge.
One flight daily from Johannesburg flies directly to the Sabi Sands Game Reserve (Mala Mala Airfield). Guests will be collected from the airstrip by open safari vehicles and transported to the lodge. The flight takes 1 hour and so does the road transfer.
There are other airlines operating scheduled flights into Nelspruit's Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA) from Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town. Air and road transfers can be arranged to the Lion Sands Game Reserve.
For booked road transfers from KMIA to Lion Sands, guests will be met at the airport and transferred in an air-conditioned bus. The journey takes approximately 2 hours.
Guests who choose to self-drive from Johannesburg to Lion Sands can follow well maintained roads most of the way with some gravel stretches toward the end of the journey. The road trip takes about 6 hours.
From Johannesburg and Pretoria
- Take the N12 / N4 highway towards Nelspruit. Once you reach Nelspruit, take the R40 towards Hazyview
- Arriving at Hazyview, turn right onto the R536 towards the Paul Kruger Gate
- Drive for about 38km (23.61 miles) and turn left onto a gravel road signposted Lion Sands - continue along this gravel road for about 4km (2.48 miles) until you reach a T-junction
- At the T-junction, turn right and drive for another 4km (2.48 miles)
- You will then reach the Sabi Sand Game Reserve (Newington Gate) where you will have to pay entrance fees. Continue straight as signposted to Lion Sands
- After about 2km (1.24 miles), turn right at the sign and follow the signs to Lion Sands River Lodge.
Please note: There are entrance fees (cash only) payable for Sabi Sands Game Reserve - per vehicle and per guest.
Rates / Prices
Enquiries / Questions